--

Saturday, May 16, 2009

From Crackers to Toffee

After making these for dessert one night when the Quan family was over for dinner, Vanessa requested that I put this on here. It was a college favorite when I was attending Ricks. We made it for FHE and other functions all the time, and I don't think there was ever one person that didn't like it! AND, it's the quickest and easiest dessert to make EVER!

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
40 soda crackers (approx. 2 packs)
Chocolate chips
Chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line cookie sheet with foil, dull side up. Spray with cooking spray. Line soda crackers on cookie sheet. Mix brown sugar and butter in a pot. Bring to a full boil and let boil for 3 minutes. (I find it's a good idea to stir while it's boiling so that it doesn't burn on bottom.) Pour over crackers and spread evenly. Bake for 5 minutes.
I allow them to cool a few minutes before putting on the chocolate chips, because I don't want them to melt. If you prefer, you can put them on right away and spread the chocolate evenly over the top. You can also sprinkle chopped nuts on top if desired.

Note: Depending on how many people you are making them for, the recipie can easily be cut in half.

3 comments:

The Tall Girl Cooks said...

This is so funny - my sister-in-law just asked me about these a couple of days ago! Thanks for posting the recipe!

CJF said...

wow those are soda crackers? Nice, I will have to try these.

Ciara Crider said...

that looks yummy!!! i might try this recipe...